INFORMATION SESSIONS TO BE HELD ON
TUESDAY, APRIL 17
TUESDAY, MAY 8
6 – 7 PM
NYU BOBST LIBRARY
Please feel free to join us!
Our program is as exciting and dynamic as the world of information it introduces, and we hope you will find helpful information on these pages.
You may also contact us directly. For information on the program in Manhattan based in the NYU Bobst Library, please email Alice.Flynn@liu.edu; for LIU Post and Brentwood, please email Amy.Ingrilli@liu.edu.
- The Palmer School’s master’s degree (MSLIS) is offered at:
LIU Post in Brookville, Long Island (full program)
Manhattan at NYU’s Bobst Library (full program)
Classes are also offered in Brentwood at Long Island’s Suffolk County Community College and online. Note: If you intend to take classes in Manhattan, please select ‘Post– Brookville Campus’ on the online application. Palmer Manhattan is part of LIU Post, so once admitted, students may take classes in Manhattan, at Post or in Brentwood. No need to specify the particular campus at the time of application.
- The program is 36 credit (12 courses) leading to a master’s degree in Library and Information Science. There are five required core courses, a required management elective, and a capstone internship.
- Please see Certificates and Areas of Study.
- Classes meet in person– evenings and weekends– online, and blended (primarily online). See more about formats here.
- Classes are offered in the fall, spring and summer, enabling students to move through the program at the pace that works best for them.
- Palmer’s required internship ensures that students have professional-level, hands-on experience just prior to graduating.
- Faculty Advisors have varied and relevant backgrounds
- The Certificate of Advanced Study in Archives and Records Management is an 18-credit concentration that can be taken within the 36 credit MSLIS or as a post-master’s certificate.
- The Rare Books and Special Collections area of study takes advantage of spectacular NYC (both places and people) and is unique to Palmer.
- Courses that lead to School Library Media Specialist certification are available online for those interested in working in the school setting. School library students earn teaching certification as part of the School Library Specialist degree.
- Course syllabi reflect a wide array of electives.
- See our listing of Fellowships, Grants, Scholarships
- Personal enrichment or visiting students are welcome to take up to six credits.
- Information sessions are held throughout the year.
The Dual Degree:
A Dual Degree with NYU’s Graduate School of Arts and Science and NYU’s Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development’s Costume Studies, Food Studies, and Media, Culture, and Communication programs trains academic librarians who will work as subject specialists in a variety of settings, including academic libraries, museums, cultural institutions of all types, corporate settings, and archives.
Palmer faculty represent a wealth of experience and interests. Not only do our full-time faculty teach and counsel our students, but we have access to the best of the best in the way of working professionals from a variety of New York City institutions, from universities like Columbia, New York University, Hunter, to stellar cultural institutions like the New York Public Library, New-York Historical Society, The Grolier Club, and others.
Apply to Palmer! Note: If you intend to take classes in Manhattan, please select ‘Post– Brookville Campus’ on the online application. Palmer Manhattan is part of LIU Post, so once admitted, students may take classes in Manhattan, at Post or in Brentwood. No need to specify the particular campus at the time of application.
Application Instructions: Please see this page: http://www.liu.edu/CWPost/Admissions/Graduate where you will find the application.
After you apply you will be able to upload the following required materials electronically:
-letter of recommendation
-unofficial transcripts from all universities attended
(Please note your official transcripts should be sent to:
Graduate Admissions Processing Center
15 Dan Road, Ste. 102
Canton, MA 02021)
In order to upload materials, log in with the e-mail address you provided on your online application. Your temporary password will be your date of birth (DDMMYYYY). Please be sure to reset your password after you first log in.
Please note that it will take up to 24 hours for you to receive a confirmation of your application and instructions on the above process.
If you intend to take classes in Manhattan, please select ‘Post– Brookville Campus’ on the online application. Palmer Manhattan is part of LIU Post, so once admitted, students may take classes in Manhattan, at Post or in Brentwood. No need to specify the particular campus at the time of application.
If you have any questions regarding the application process for LIU, please do not hesitate to reach out to Kathy Riley, Associate Director of Graduate Admissions at Kathy.Riley@liu.edu.
- Students may apply for fall, spring or summer admission.
- Admission is on a rolling basis. Once the LIU Post Office of Graduate Admissions has ALL the necessary materials (all transcripts, two references, completed application, personal statement, resume) applicants usually hear back within three weeks. Once admitted, students may take classes at any of Palmer’s sites.
- GREs are not required for anyone with a 3.0 or better on the overall undergraduate cumulative average OR for anyone who has completed another master’s or professional degree.
- Interested students may take up to six credits (two courses) prior to admission by applying for non-matriculated, personal enrichment, auditor status. Please understand that there is no financial aid available for students who are not matriculated. The earned credits will be applied to the official record once the student is matriculated.
- Students may transfer in up to six credits.
Calendars and Class Schedules
The Dual Degree With NYU
Join our Facebook group
Fellowships, Grants, Scholarships
Frequently Asked Questions
Personal Enrichment / Visiting Students / Auditors
Tuition and Fees
Sign up for our listserv (KIOSK)
We have a great program in wonderful places, and we’d be glad to answer any other questions you might have.